Bill Summary: PASSED SB19-042 - contrary to the US Constitution – would requireALL of Colorado’s Electors to vote for the winner of the national popular vote - no matter for which candidate the majority of Colorado’s voters voted. In effect, it disenfranchisesand ignoresthe will of Colorado voters.
Comment: If this had been in effect in the last election, the Democrat would have become president.
Bill Status: This Bill was passed by both Houses (Senate and House) of the General Assembly - and is on its way to the governor’s desk for his signature.
Activities around the Bill:
· Several people have petitioned the CO Secretary of State’s (SOS’s) office for a repeal referendum.
· The petition request will be processed as soon as Governor Polis signs the bill into law – at which time the SOS’s office will begin preparing official petition forms.
· Petitions would be available for signatures on the last day of the Colorado Assembly, May 3, 2019.
· 125,000 signatures will be required for a repeal referendum to be on the 2020 ballot – thereby allowing Colorado voters to vote to repeal the National Popular Vote, and let the Electoral College work the way the US Constitution intended.
How you can be involved:
· Here is the link to contact the Governor’s office, to tell him NOTto sign this bill: https://www.colorado.gov/governor/share-your-comments
· Note: Issue committees and volunteer organizations are recruiting volunteers for signatures right now, so that everything will be ready to go when the petition drive begins. We will publish a list, when the information is available…